Position: General Counsel
Reports to: CFX Governing Board
Posting date: April 16, 2019
The General Counsel represents the Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX) and the CFX Governing Board in all legal matters for the agency and advises the Executive Director and Staff on legal and policy matters. This position oversees the daily operations of the legal department.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Directs, plans, manages, implements and operates the Legal Department.
- Advises the Board, Executive Director and staff on legal and policy issues affecting CFX. This responsibility includes providing individualized counsel and advice concerning the legal ramifications of potential and pending litigation, legislation, policy decisions, court decisions and legal opinions.
- Drafts, reviews and approves a wide variety of contracts and agreements.
- Provides legal services and manages legal contracts. Supervises and manages outside contract attorneys who represent CFX.
- Oversees contract services for right of way acquisition and representation for eminent domain litigation.
- Assists in determining case strategy, preparation of witnesses, opening and closing arguments, jury instructions, cross-examination and jury selection, as needed.
- Conducts independent research requiring knowledge of state and federal laws and Agency policies and procedures.
- Works closely with staff on the development of policies, procedures and standards to ensure consistency with applicable federal and state laws. Provides input on legislative issues.
- Serves as the Authority Ethics Officer; pursuant to Board approval on July 24, 2009, responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Ethics policy and related procedures. Reviews and updates the Code of Ethics Policy and presents to the Board for approval at least once every two years.
- Provides a detailed briefing on the Code of Ethics to new Board members.
- Provides advisory opinions concerning the applicability of the Ethics Code or any provision thereof to Authority staff and Board members, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to compose, review and approve an extensive amount of contracts and agreements.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with CFX Governing Board, Executive Director, Agency departments and the public.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, and executive orders.
- Ability to communicate effectively and convey information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience with Florida’s Government-in-the-Sunshine-Law and Florida Public Records Law.
- Proven ability to prioritize workload and effective delegation skills.
- Knowledge of public financing.
- Ability to manage and direct staff as well as outside counsel.
- Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of different approaches and theories.
- Skill in conducting litigation cases, to include examining and cross-examining witnesses, summarizing a case for presentation to a judge and/or jury.
- Minimum of 7-10 years prior legal experience. Management experience required.
- Must be a licensed attorney in good standing with the Florida Bar.
Work environment/Physical requirements:
- This position is in typical office environment with heavy computer usage.
The Central Florida Expressway Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit resume and salary requirements by May 3, 2019 to email@example.com.