At its June meeting, the Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX) Board voted unanimously to adopt a record $2.5 billion Five-Year Work Plan, an increase of approximately $600 million over the plan adopted in 2018. The Five-Year Work Plan is part of CFX’s budget process and serves as an important tool for the agency to effectively manage its program of system improvements, enhancements, rehabilitation and expansion to CFX’s 118-mile expressway system.
“In one of the fastest growing regions in the country, our transportation infrastructure is a vital investment, driving economic prosperity and quality of life,” said Executive Director Laura Kelley. “The Five-Year Work Plan contains much needed capacity and expansion projects that support our world-class mobility network.”
Highlights of the Five-Year Work Plan include:
- Funding for five interchange projects, including:
- State Road 408/State Road 417 Interchange
- State Road 528/State Road 436 Interchange near Orlando International Airport
- State Road 429/Stoneybrook West Parkway Interchange in west Orange County
- State Road 528/Dallas Boulevard
- State Road 408/I-4 Interchange Contribution
- Initial funding for future expansion projects, such as the:
- Lake/Orange County Connector
- Poinciana Parkway Extension
- Osceola Parkway Extension
- Widening of approximately 46 miles of existing expressways, predominantly:
- State Road 417/International Drive to State Road 528
- State Road 429/Tilden Road to State Road 414
- Resurfacing of approximately 43 miles
- Expansion of the award-winning Wrong Way Driving Detection and Prevention System, developed jointly by CFX and the University of Central Florida
- Improved roadway lighting and signs
- Installation of a new state-of-the-art toll collection system
CFX’s $2.5 billion Five-Year Work Plan is projected to create over 32,000 jobs in Central Florida and contribute $1.5 billion in gross domestic product to the local economy. Studies indicate drivers on CFXs expressways will save up to 32 travel hours annually.
About CFX’s Five-Year Work Plan
The purpose of the work plan is to identify those projects which CFX anticipates funding during the next five years. The work plan is also used in conjunction with the financial management programs used by CFX. The work plan is updated annually and presented to CFX’s Governing Board each spring for adoption.